Pocket CowCard – Android Version 1912191414 release has enhancements, known issues and other considerations.
Build Date: December 19, 2019
Release Date: December 19, 2019
- Data Storage Improvements and SD Card Support (Action Required) – PCC-735: The app now supports both internal and external storage on almost all devices with a validated SD card. To change from internal to SD card storage for the app and data, complete the procedure below:
Update PCC to Run from and Save Data to an SD Card
- Deliver any remaining transactions from the Android device to DC305.
- Install a file manager app on your device to simplify navigating the internal memory and SD card on your device. We recommend using the File Manager app by Flashlight + Clock, which is available in the Google Play Store:
3. Once installation is complete, open File Manager.
4. Select the Main storage icon > Android > Data and scroll to the com.vas.pcc folder:
5. Press and hold the com.vas.pcc folder to display available options, and select Rename:
6. Rename the folder to old.com.vas.pcc and select OK:
7. Verify that the folder name is changed to com.vas.pcc.
NOTE: Another option would be to delete this folder, but we recommend using the Rename option as a safety precaution.
8. Confirm that a valid SD Card is installed and mounted in your device.
9. In a browser, go to www.vas.com/Android and install the latest update:
10. Once the installation finishes, open the PCC app.
11. Record a test RECK event for an animal. Set the date and add a “testthis” remark:
12. Tap Accept to save the test event.
13. Close the PCC app.
14. Open the File Manager app and select the SD Card icon > Android > data > vas.pcc:
15. In the com.vas.pcc folder, select files > VAS > PCC > HERDS:
16. Tap the folder for your herdcode and select the 00000000000000001.journal file:
NOTE: In this example, we show the herdcode as “ HERDCODE” , but your herdcode folder will have an numeric or alpha-numeric name.
17. Open the file as Text and verify that the test RECK event and remark are present:
If you see the test event and remark, your device is now saving data to the SD card.
NOTE: If you install the app to internal memory in the future, then your data will only be saved to internal memory. Use this procedure to rename the folder in internal memory and change the settings to use the SD card.
Known Issues and Other Considerations
- DC305 license and application upgrade required: Future improvements for the Android version of Pocket CowCard and the VAS Platform will require that you upgrade your Version 5 DC305 licenses to Version 8. An application upgrade to the XE version of DC305 will be also be required.
- Android Nougat 7.1.2, 8.1.0, and other newer versions cannot read 8-digit SD Card – PCC-315: Google has removed the ability to read the 8-digit SD Card ID on newer versions of Android. The current method is to use the Device ID for the licensing of Pocket CowCard at the time of registration.
- Scan method overwrite: Scan method items may be changed inadvertently from their original values when tapping on animals from the QUEUE or DONE tabs in worklists. For instance, an R or V method may update to a T. This issue will be addressed in an upcoming release.
- Scanning new animals into the herd from a TODO list or AD-HOC event: Scanning of a new animal into the herd currently adds that animal to DC305 immediately. In a future PCC Android release, we plan to match the current Windows Mobile functionality and instruct the DC305 Server to hold those new “add” transactions rather than immediately adding them to the system.
- PCC Android users may need to update or replace older Android devices:
Future updates for Pocket CowCard Android require the Android device Operating Specification to be in the range of Lollipop 5.0 to Oreo 8.1. Please upgrade or replace your device before 2/15/2020. If you have any questions on the options or would like to purchase a device, please contact sales at 888-225-6753.
- The October 2019 PCC Android Release changed how we write and save app data to a device versus a SD CARD– PCC-735: Fixed internal and external storage issues. SD card access should now be available on almost any device that has a validated SD CARD mounted. This means that if you want your PCC APP and DATA to be saved to the SD CARD, we need you to perform the following steps. Devices that never would write to an SD Card in the past are now writing to a SD CARD. Swapping SD CARD data from Android 4.x devices does not work.