VAS has heard from users for years that they would like the length of the remark field to be expanded. It has finally happened!
VAS did NOT just convert everyone automatically over to 16-character remark fields because it would break a lot of reports that users have created with just the correct column widths to fit them on a piece of paper. If the remark is suddenly 8 characters longer, now there may be columns which will not fit on the report page. So, if you choose to have longer remark field, you can now convert your Cowfile using the command below. Please note there are 2 options:
1. – be able to enter in and see on the cowcard 6-character remarks but only show 8 characters on reports.
2. – be able to enter in and see on the cowcard 16-character remarks and also see the full 16 characters on reports. With this option you may need to adjust the columns on your reports where remark (REM) is used because it will now be twice as long.
Requirement – You must have a V8 Cowfile
Commands used to convert to 16-character remarks:
1. CONVERT\REM – this command will convert the Cowfile to 16-character remarks but the item DISPLAY length will only be 8 charters.
2. CONVERT\REM16 – this command will convert the Cowfile to 16-character remarks AND set the item display length to 16.
3. CONVERT\REM8 – this will leave the remark length at 16 but put the display length back to only 8 characters. (an undo for CONVERT\REM16)